“Optimism is what’s dragging me through these pandemic days that have stretched into months. It has given me time to think about how and why I want to return to making theater…No doubt, people will desire robust and healing storytelling, but we have to ensure that we create an environment where theater is accessible to everyone.” -Lynn Nottage, Playwright
Dear Friend of Third Rail,
We miss being in physical space with you.
Until we can safely meet again in person, we are keeping up the creative process, adapting and innovating, and planning a Season of timely programming that speaks to the needs of the moment, both in terms of the stories we tell and the formats we use to tell them.
Our programming currently takes place online through Zoom, and we hope you’ll join us from wherever you are by becoming a Member. Members have access to all Third Rail programming, including Monthly Salon Readings and Company Innovation projects such as Home/Place. While we are physically distant, we are keeping our programming live in real time to stay connected. We gratefully acknowledge that your Membership at this time, while bringing you entertaining and thought-provoking programming, is also an investment in the long-term health of Third Rail.
You can also support Third Rail by making a donation. If you have tickets, Memberships, or Subscriptions from the 2019/2020 Season that you would like to convert to a donation, please contact the Box Office at (503) 235-1101 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions about programming that was postponed in the 2019/20 Season, including Main Stage productions and National Theatre Live, please contact us.
We continue to remember the words spoken by the Director General of the World Health Organization at the March 9 media briefing:
“We are not at the mercy of this virus…Let hope be the antidote to fear. Let solidarity be the antidote to blame. Let our shared humanity be the antidote to our shared threat.”
Third Rail has made a commitment to ourselves, our community, and our patrons, to keeping healthy and keeping on. We wish you good health and hope to see you at the theatre very soon.
Managing Artistic Director Maureen Porter and all of us at Third Rail
Here are some of the things we are doing to help ensure the health and safety of our community when programming resumes:
- Third Rail Staff will be implementing additional cleaning procedures at all venues. This will include disinfecting door handles, seat armrests, and other heavily used surfaces before and after performances as well as before and after intermissions where applicable.
- Hand sanitizer, tissues, and garbage receptacles will be made readily available.
- We will place signage at our venues reminding people of the best prevention etiquette.
- We are waiving all exchange fees for the coming months so if you aren’t feeling well, please stay home and take good care. We’ll get you seated at another performance or in later programming.
- Third Rail Staff and Company will continue to follow all safety protocols recommended by the CDC.
- We are moving to electronic programs instead of reusing and recycling paper programs that are shared by many people.
- We will continue to actively monitor and evaluate the situation based on recommendations from the World Health Organization, CDC, Oregon Health Authority, and the Multnomah County Health Department, implementing best-practices accordingly.